Friday, January 11, 2008

Best Soundtracks...Ever

Following the musically-themed list from yesterday, I present my list of 16 best soundtracks ever.

11) Elf . 2003
This one makes the list because it is a great Christmas CD and it is fresh in my mind since we aren't that far removed from the holiday season. Two non-holiday songs bookend the CD (Pennies from Heaven and Nothing from Nothing) which are great upbeat songs and every song in between is a Christmas classic. Put this in your holiday rotation.

10) Out of Sight . David Holmes . 1998
The movie was pleasant enough (starring JLo, Don Cheadle, Steve Zahn, Ving Rhames and George Clooney) but the original music by David Holmes really stole the show for me - with tracks 11 and 15 being the highlights. The soundtrack also features a few familiars from the Isley Brothers and Sinatra. The only thing that dropped this soundtrack down a few notches is almost all the songs start with dialogue from the movie - so it can't be easily skipped and really doesn't add to the experience.

9) The Mambo Kings . 1992
Celia Cruz, Tito Puente, Linda Ronstadt, Los Lobos come out to play for this soundtrack. If you can't guess by the name or the artists the soundtrack has a decidedly latin vibe. Try to keep up with the ridiculously fast beats of Ran Kan Kan or Para Los Rumberos or slow it down with Perfidia or Antonio Banderas singing Beautiful Maria of My Soul.

8) Sweet and Lowdown . 1999
To start, I must point out this movie is a fictional biopic of a jazz guitarist in the 1930's - written and directed by Woody Allen - so the music follows along this vein. Being completely ignorant of anything jazz, I cannot wax on about the differences in sound or quality. What I can note is all the tracks are outstanding and each conveys a different emotion, but all make you want to sway with the slow sound (Just a Gigolo, track 9), belt out the song (Viper Mad, track 5) or get into a full-on groove (It Don't Mean a Thing, track 12). Good music for keeping the party going late.

7) Trainspotting . 1996
I am really trying to figure out right now how I don't have my very own copy of this album - but then again this album was on constant rotation freshman year of college...
Arguably one of the best musical selections for a movie scene is Lou Reed's Perfect Day in this movie. Another favorite on this album is Night Clubbing by Iggy Pop - perhaps the perfect song to put on and test out the volume of your stereo.

6) The Jungle Book . Richard and Robert Sherman . 1967
I can belt out the Little Mermaid with the best of them and I am guilty of getting a little too into Oliver and Company (I was young), but I think The Jungle Book Soundtrack is the best Disney has delivered. This album has so many good songs - with my favorites being Colonel Hathi's March, The Bare Necessities and I Wan'na Be Like You (tracks 3, 4 and 5, respectively).

5) Virgin Suicides - Original Motion Picture Score . Air . 2000
This combination was meant to be: take a twisted plot with a refreshingly anti-depressive spin and get a group that can execute (no pun intended) the perfect score. Air also cleverly takes the electronic melody on Playground Love (track 1) and replays a more acoustic version for the theme song Highschool Lover (track 8). Good music for a slow-motion day or a self-indulgent pity party.

4) Running with Scissors . 2006
This soundtrack is all about your favorite songs you've never heard before (or maybe you have). It kicks off with a very high energy Pick Up the Pieces and follows with Blinded By the Light - you know, that song no one knows the lyrics to, penned by "The Boss." After that, the soundtrack slips into a more mellow mood - rounded out by some great Nat King Cole tunes, Elton John's Bennie and the Jets and - my personal favorite - Year of the Cat. This soundtrack is your cocktail party go-to, if you keep track of things like that.

3) The Good, The Bad and The Ugly . Ennio Morricone . 1967
Do I really have to say anything else?
(Yes, I do: This soundtrack is really great driving music - try it.)

2) Amelie . Yann Tiersen . 2001
If this soundtrack and movie project the essence of France, then count me in. While the upbeat songs blend together, they have a sound all their own that is addictive. On many songs I hear the accordion and something chimey, which turns out to be a toy piano according to the liner notes (or at least I'm guessing.) Put this soundtrack on when you are preparing or eating a fabulous meal.


1) Quentin Tarantino films: Pulp Fiction . Kill Bill I and II . Jackie Brown . Reservoir Dogs . Death Proof
The musical genius of Quentin Tarantino has not gone unnoticed and these awesome soundtracks all occupy the number one slot, making this the top 16 soundtracks of all time. Almost every Tarantino movie is accompanied by a soundtrack that, together, really represent the whole "sum is greater than the parts" philosophy. You can also take the stance the soundtrack is a magnificent stand-alone compilation. The secret of these soundtracks (if I may be so bold) is the mix of the fantastically familiar tunes with the obscure "how-have-I-never-heard-that-song-before?" tracks. He also incorporates scenes seemingly written to highlight the songs (the lap dance for Down In Mexico from Death Proof, or the entrance and Son of a Preacher Man in Pulp Fiction) and the scenes work because the songs have been perfectly selected.

2 comments:

  1. The soundtrack to Boomerang was pretty hot when I was in middle school. I am kind of disappointed to not see it on your top 11. Maybe it's #12?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also add Boogie Nights, Dead Presidents, and Money Train.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...