Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rock.n.Roll Craft Show

As part of an effort to leave the house every once in a while, I mosied on over to the Rock-n-Roll Craft Show (RRCS) on Saturday to check out the goods. Craft shows have really had to step it up now that cool kids have started crafting and crafts have entered the modern era. This annual event in St. Louis is as it sounds - local musicians play while event goers can check out the wares, watch the demonstrations or belly up to the cash bar. I must say the show was awesome. This year it was held at the 3rd Degree Glass Factory in St. Louis and the layout was designed to display all the wares and handle the crowds, including a cashier line expediter and several cashier stands. I point this out since the location and execution last year left much to be desired. The products available were numerous and varied, with a few standouts I would like to mention:











  • Pillows - my favorite being these little round felted pillows that resembled vinyl records.
  • Purses - one vendor (wearemammal.com) had vintage purses with screen printed designs. So it was the best of both worlds - the solid structure of vintage purses, with a graphic design update. I cannot get over how clever this was.
  • Glassware - given the host facility of the craft show was a glass blowing establishment, it is fitting that lots of gorgeous glassware was on display. I would have loved to pick up one of their bowls or vases, but with the prices listed ($100-200) I needed someone else from the household (ahem, Daniel) to second the motion.
  • Jewelry - this was a popular section of the show, so I didn't spend too much time perusing (I was on a time crunch), but lots of work with enamel, found objects and cut gemstones.
  • Ceramics - one artist did little fortune cookie sculptures with different textures. I would have picked a few of these up because they were so darn cute, but I would have returned home to a "why?" look from Daniel.
  • Sculptures - last, but not least, some artists had sculptured pieces. While I was trying to focus on holiday gift possibilities a wood and metal sculpture of fluffy clouds caught my eye. After a quick tour of the rest of the show, I beelined it back to the Chris Lucas sculpture and made it mine.

Although I didn't get any gifts purchased during the RRCS, I am pleased with my purchase and have every intention of returning next year for Rock-n-Roll Craft Show 6.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your sculpture! I saw the pics on flickr and might have said "AWWW" out loud at my cubicle. Anyway, looks v.cool.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...