Thursday, January 29, 2009

Recipe for success: Lamb meatball gyros

After failed attempts at numerous new recipes (notice how I don't blog about those?), I was really ready to have something that worked. Last night I made lamb meatball gyros and it was a smashing success. To top it off, I got to use some local lamb meat that I had purchased at the Schlafly Farmer's Market and had sitting in the freezer. Anyway, this lamb meatball gyros recipe comes from Real Simple magazine and it is easy as well as delicious.




  1. Assemble the ingredients:
    1 pound ground lamb
    1/4 cup golden raisins, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup bread crumbs *
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 bunch scallions (white and light green parts), sliced
    4 pieces flat bread
    1/2 cup Greek yogurt
    2 tablespoons fresh mint

  2. Combine the lamb, raisins, cinnamon, salt, pepper, the bread crumbs, egg, and three-quarters of the scallions in a large bowl.

  3. Shape the mixture into golf ball size meatballs and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.**

  4. Place an oven rack in the second-highest position and heat broiler.

  5. Broil, turning once, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes total.

  6. Divide the flat bread among individual plates and top with the meatballs, yogurt, mint, and the remaining scallions.

Update . 08/14/09: We didn't have any eggs on hand and it made no difference. Also, by accident we got honey yogurt and it ended up being a super happy accident. So there.

*I didn't have breadcrumbs on hand so I made my own: I took 2 slices of regular bread and chopped them up into fine pieces (yeah, the size of breadcrumbs) in the food processor. Next I laid them out on a baking sheet and put them in the oven at 375 degrees until they were toasted. Better than a trip to the store at the last minute.

** The meatballs can be made in advance, then cover the meatballs with plastic wrap or foil and store in the fridge until 'go time'. I made the meatballs earlier in the day and dinner consisted of popping them in the oven and assembling the pitas - which I made everyone assemble their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...