Monday, February 22, 2010

Linked list: Donut Hole in the Wall

As a relative newcomer to St. Louis, I find myself learning many local customs along the way*. Namely, you are identified within this city by the highschool you attended (no matter how old you are) and in south St. Louis donuts are a big thing. We aren't talking Krispy Kreme or Dunkin' joints, but mom and pop shops that have a selection of plain jane donuts and, of course, their specialities. This dedication to the art of fried deliciousness hasn't gone unnoticed as Bon Appetit magazine named The Donut Stop in St. Louis one of the ten best donut shops in the U.S. Looks like author Andrew Knowlton - who irritated me throughout the first Next Iron Chef show as a judge - has redeemed himself in my book. I must go plan my maiden voyage to The Donut Stop sometime in the near future.

* Two points I'd like to make here: 1) My sister is quick to point out that we live in University City, which is not really St. Louis. This is true. 2) Since she married a native St. Louisian (he went to a private school - very St. Louis) she has the upper hand on knowing and experiencing St. Louis customs. Oh, and she lives in St. Louis proper.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, oh man, I must be a jerk about StL! When you make it to the Donut Stop, I want to go with!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...