Monday, November 29, 2010

Crib Notes

The last major nursery project before arrival of the little bambino was the crib skirt I whipped together in an evening. Let me repeat: in an evening...and that includes shopping for the fabric. To put this in perspective, I stared at crib skirts options online longer than it took me to make one. So there. I was surprised to realize that my selection of fabric - a hip Amy Butler print - didn't come cheap and the project cost about as much as a Land of Nod crib skirt. BUT, and this is a big but, I got exactly what I wanted: a straight crib skirt (no ruffles) with a funky print.



1. Cut the fabric (make sure these dimensions suit your crib and crib mattress sizes):
  • A: two pieces each 29 inches long and 10.5 inches tall from decorative fabric (short sides)
  • B: two pieces each 53 inches long and 10.5 inches tall from decorative fabric (long sides)
  • C: one piece 51.5 inches by 27.5 inches from inexpensive fabric




2. Hem both short ends and one long side of the skirt fabrics (pieces A and B). To make the hems, fold each edge over 1/4 inch toward the wrong side, then fold it over another 1/4 inch. Iron this fold in place and stitch along the folded edge.




3. Pin the unhemmed edges of the skirt fabric (A and B) to each side of the skirt sheet (C). Make sure the skirt fabric is facing the correct way. Sew the skirt fabric to the skirt sheet.




4. Pop it on the crib under the mattress and admire your handiwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...