Thursday, September 20, 2012

40% . The Big Four O


A short while back I read that Americans throw out 40% of their food. Astonishing, right? And then I thought about it a bit more and realized how much we throw out in this household. Granted, the 40%  takes into account more than what you throw out directly from the fridge or pantry, but with food banks being pushed to their limits by demand, I feel ashamed that we throw out as much as we do. Lately I've tried to take measures to personally reduce this and I'm calling this project '40 down'.
  • Doling out leftovers
    What we don't eat for dinner is often left for me to eat the next day at lunch...and sometimes the day after. Two lunches and one dinner is the max, if I even do that. Lately I've contacted my mom and sister the night of the meal to see if they want any for their lunch the next day. Recently, I sent lunch to my sister that she thoroughly enjoyed. I received the following e-mail from her:

    SUBJECT: Holy crap
    BODY: that was the most amazing lunch i have ever had. What was that!?! Must 
    have the recipe!!

    I don't know about you, but my trashcan has never been that grateful to get leftovers.

  • Preserving
    The oldest trick in the culinary book and with the modern miracle of refrigeration I don't even have to resort to canning (but would I love to be one of those badass canners.) Sometimes simply getting those ingredients prepped for future use and frozen is all it takes - like freezing cut fruit, herb pastes, or leftover chicken stock. And am I ever smug when I get meals in the freezer for future use.

  • Planning
    Our household is horrible -- horrible -- about meal planning. Our meal planning is usually deciding over the phone at 4:55pm which one of us is going to hit up the store and get food for the evening. A long while back Daniel and I had a challenge to see which of us could create a week's worth of meals cheaper (I won, by the way.) By planning the whole week in advance we used ingredients repeatedly until they were used up. Wham, bam - cheaper and less wasteful. We need to work on this again.

  • Ugh, eating less?
    Just throwing this out there, but I could always eat less (and plan on eating less.) Less to buy, less to  possibly have go bad.

  • Freeganism
    Glad someone is into this.
So, that's the game plan (though I have no plans to dumpster dive just yet.) If you run one of those households that has zero food waste, I'd love to know your secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...