Thursday, October 8, 2009

Closing up shop

Cold winds are a blowin' and that means one final harvest of anything I still have growing outside. These plants have won the survival of the fittest: they haven't been eaten or mowed down and have survived on the little amounts of water I or the Midwestern summer skies chose to grant them. For this I gave them a hero's welcome in my home.

Some of my more compact garden herbs were transplanted into terracotta pots and brought inside to survive the winter. They got a prime spot (read: usually the cats' perch) to bask in the sun.I had some sage plants pop back up unexpectedly from last year and some sage that I had already bought this year. With lots of sage plants, one was clipped for drying. To dry the sage I just tie a bit of twine around a bundle and hang them upside down from my kitchen shelves. Dried sage makes melted butter even better.


Bring out the shot glasses: here's to me thinking I can get some of these plants to grow over the winter. I have clippings in water with the hopes that they will root. If they do and I keep them alive until next spring (lots of contingencies in that statement), then I have plants ready to go into the ground.

Last, but not least, is my first attempt at infused oil. I warmed up some extra virgin olive oil and poured it over some cleaned and towel dried basil I brought in. This is the same basil I started from seedlings this spring and we picked and used throughout the summer. If the basil oil turns out, I will be one proud little gardener and you will not hear the end of my bragging.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love all of your fall/winter gardening plans! Last time I made an infused oil I put A TON of the leaves in it. Do you have more than 2 leaves in your bottle for reals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have lots more basil leaves in the bottle, but they were all in the bottom and this pictured cropped that.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...