Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Setting the table

Thanksgiving is tomorrow and my thoughts are ping-ponging between the details of our merry feast and figuring out how November completely and mysteriously evaporated. But with less than 24 hours to go I need to focus. We've set our sights on dry brining the turkey and the rest of the menu is shaping up to be a nice medley of traditional dishes. In previous years, we hosted our friends and that consisted of making sure enough spirits were on hand and the food was edible. This year we are hosting for our families and I have decided to up the ante. That's right, we are talking table decorations. I have scoured the internet for inspiration from Martha Stewart to ...ummmm, more Martha Stewart (I mean, if she doesn't have something to fit the bill, then who does?) This table decorating gig is a lot harder than I thought it would be, which explains why Martha gets paid the big bucks. I got all my goods together tonight and set the table so it is a non-factor for tomorrow. After selecting the flowers and setting the table I quickly realized the vibe is decidedly non-Thanksgiving-y, but I can work on that next year. Let's keep in mind this is the same person that painted the dining room a Double-Mint Gum green with dark green ceilings, so traditional isn't my strong suit.



Tablecloth . Linen fabric from fabric store
I had this fabric for another project that fell through, so I popped it on the table as either a very small tablecloth or oversize table runner.

Napkins . Crate and Barrel
Here's to owning a set of eight cloth napkins. Previously I had a menagerie of different color and texture cloth napkins.

Votive candle holders . Crate and Barrel
I'm usually not a gold kind of girl, but this black votive holders with a brassy gold bowl lured me to the dark side - which set the subtle gold tone.

Planters . Canned fruit containers spray painted
We've been eating canned peaches for the last week straight. But the planters works, right?

Wine glasses and pitcher . Crate and Barrel (see a pattern here?)

Drinking glasses and flatware . Kate Spade

Flowers . Whole Foods (decorative kale, mini calla lilies and green hydrangea)



Yes, I am quite aware it looks nothing like a Thanksgiving table and everything like a Spring soiree, but I am still pleased. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...