Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Top 5 Reasons You Need a Playstation 3

Today marks a new chapter in lickity list entries. Daniel has signed on as a contributor and will no longer be marked as a guest blogger. Hopefully he is prolific in his entries.

It's hard to sell your significant other on the idea of a $400 video game console. I'm here to help.





5. Surfing the Web
It’s an easy way to enjoy videos of people doing stupid stuff when you have company over. Some sites (including youtube) are starting to offer a TV version to make it easier to navigate from your couch.


4. Presenting Slideshows
Hook a digital camera up to one of the PS3’s USB ports and bore your guests with pictures of your cat doing stupid cat stuff. Or, if you’re really cool (ed. note: nerdy), stream pictures directly from your flickr account.


3. Playing Games
Duh! You can’t go wrong with Rock Band, SingStar or Buzz! at any social gathering. Fallout 3 and LittleBigPlanet are must-haves for solo play. You can even download full games through the PlayStation Store. Early model PS3’s could play PS2 games, but Sony scrapped that feature to cut manufacturing costs (I guess?).


2. Watching Movies
The PS3 is a very capable Blu-Ray and DVD player. It even upscales DVD’s to near-HD resolution. You can also purchase or rent movie downloads from the PlayStation Store, although I find the current selection and prices underwhelming. I am envious of the Xbox360’s ability to stream Netflix movies. If Sony can get their act together and make this happen, it would truly make the PS3 the end-all-be-all home entertainment device.


1. Listening to Music
Your entire music collection at your fingertips! Here’s what you do: Rip all of your CD’s to your computer. If you’ve already gone digital with your collection, good for you – the road ahead has gone from “easy” to “really easy.” Install TVersity (it’s free) on said computer. As long as the PS3 and the computer are on the same home network, the PS3 will magically “see” your computer, and you can now play any song stored on the computer through the PS3. I cannot understate how much I enjoy this.

3 comments:

  1. Just got the Wii Fit and DDR (yes, I'm a dancing fool). May need to upgrade to Play Station for the music and movie benefits. Never thought I'd want a gaming console.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few months ago I was the significant other that needed to be convinced the PS3 was the end-all be-all technology. I will say after one week of impressive demonstrations and details of today's bullet points, I caved and it has been worth it. The Blu-Ray player benefit was obvious and the music streaming has been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed: Being an avid World of Warcraft convert to PS3, I find my video game satisfaction and gratification hunger is more quickly satiated by the PS3 much to the pleasure of my wife who has suffered through countless hours of staring at the back of my head and talking to the wall as I had my gaming headset on. The PS3 is unparalleled in its quality of video and sound for both video games and movies and offers my thirstfor online competition as well. GET ONE.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...