Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Recipe for success: Shortbread cookies

I love these little cookies. You can whip them up in a jiffy and they don't require eggs. I have no idea why I struggle to have eggs at the ready, but it never fails that I don't have eggs, don't have enough eggs or they are way beyond expired. These cookies are my solution when I just really need to get a little baking under my belt or my sweet tooth kicks in. This last week I tried 2 different recipes as part of a taste test. The winning recipe follows.


Hearst Castle Shortbread Cookies from 101 Cookbooks
  1. Assemble the ingredients:

    4 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 tsp. sea salt (fine)

    1 lb. unsalted butter
    1 c. powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

  2. Preheat the oven to 350 F
  3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.
  4. In a mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy. This works best if you let the butter sit out and warm to room temperature.
  5. Add the sugar to the butter and beat more, periodically scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl. Or you could get one of these super fancy mixing spatula blades that would handle this while you watch in amazement...me wants one.
  6. Beat in the vanilla.
  7. Add the flour mix to the mixer bowl in parts and continue to beat until it forms a thick dough. Again, scrape down the sides if you don't have the mixing spatula blade.
  8. Dump the dough out on the counter and divide into 2. Form two patties (1 inch) thick, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  9. Once chilled, pull out dough and roll out to 1/4 inch thick.
  10. Cut the dough using cookie cutters or a knife.
  11. Optional: sprinkle or dip the top of the cookies in sugar for a extra sweetness.
  12. Place on a parchment paper or Silpat lined cookie sheet and bake until golden 7-15 minutes.

  13. Review: The winner. I've been using this recipe since it came out on 101 Cookbooks and it doesn't disappoint - it is light and pairs lovely with hot beverages or ice cream. I am still looking for that delicious stand-alone shortbread, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...