Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Food Finds 2008

I just couldn't help myself. With the end of the year fast approaching I felt the need to reflect on the past year. But reflecting on what I've learned or how I've grown is boring...and the list is short. So my attention turned to all the new, stand-out restaurants we've discovered or been shown this year. I proudly present Food Finds 2008.

Scottish Arms
The cock-a-leekie pie embodies a winter's night dream. Start with cream, add leeks and chicken and make a hearty stew. Top it off with puff pastry and serve like a deliciously decadent potpie. The starters at this Scottish restaurant are also winners, though just about everything requires a full description from the knowledgeable staff during the first visit. For the scotch lovers out there, this place boasts a very impressive scotch menu (or so I am told).

Carl's Drive-In
I have driven past this place a million times and have never noticed it. Our local food guide took us their a few weekends ago and it was fantastic. For starters, this burger joint isn't even a drive-in, you actually get out of the car and go in to order and eat. The kitchen sits smack-dab in the middle of the building flanked by 2 counters that have 8-10 bar stools on each side. The savvy customers actually look through the windows to find out which side is less busy and enter through that door. Otherwise, to get to the other side you actually exit the building, walk around to the opposite entrance and re-enter. The burgers start out as tiny meatballs that are pressed onto the grill and come out as flat, almost lacy, patties. To that end, I recommend a double cheeseburger rather than a single. What you end up with is a dining experience that is fun and invokes nostalgia of an older generation's burger joint.

Niche
If you read - or glance - at this blog at all, you've heard of Niche and my high praise for the tasting menus. I will just leave it at that. Side note: the food is delicious.



Pho Long
Located in an unassuming strip mall Pho Long makes the best pho I have ever tasted. Boasting home-made broth that is made nightly and a simple menu that consists of 7 different pho selections, this place has it down pat. Also on the menu is a small sampling of appetizers and another page of items that I haven't even looked at (no need to stray beyond the pho, really).

The Shaved Duck
A sister of the Scottish Arms, it may seem like this restaurant group is being unfairly promoted, but I assure you this is not the case (to the restaurateurs of these fine establishments: I take bribes for promoting your good foods in the form of free food, drink or gift certificates). Anyway, as the name implies, duck is the specialty of this place - we pieced together a meal of large and small plates with the duck salad, duck confit and duck fat frites being the stand-outs of the night. The cocktail menu was also a lot of fun, comprised of classics with a twist like ginger infused vodka gimlet and tangerine rosemary mojito.

Providence
The only non-STL food find (located in Hollywood, CA) for this year and it was a humdinger. The nine-course tasting menu we experienced was heavy with seafood and all-around fantastic. Definitely the food splurge of the year, but worth it.

Pi
All I am going to say is this: deep dish pizza with a cornmeal crust complete with local and seasonal products is mighty good. But don't take my word for it: Barack Obama, having enjoyed some of the Pi pies during a stop through STL, is said to have really liked the pizza as well. What a politician.

Veruca Bakery
Affiliated with Niche restaurant, this bakery is the pastry chef of Niche's outlet for daily creativity. I have gone out of my way to get to this bakery to pick up their take on the Hostess cupcake. If eating this dessert is wrong, I don't want to be right.

1 comment:

  1. It might be 60ยบ today, but tomorrow it's supposed to snow. I think that some pho is in order for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...